Saturday, November 29, 2008
Cathedral of the Holy Cross
Archdiocese of Boston.
The Cathedral of the Holy Cross, located in Boston’s South End, was designed by Patrick Keely; an American nineteenth century ecclesiastical architect. Built in the Gothic Revival style it is constructed of Pudding stone, with gray limestone trim, it is the largest church in New England.
In 1860, Bishop Fitzpatrick recognizing that the Catholic population in Boston had outgrown the “old Cathedral” that had once stood on Franklin Street initiated plans for the construction of the present cathedral; unfortunately the Civil War interrupted these plans and work on the new cathedral did not resume until after the war. Ground was broken for the new cathedral on April 29, 1866. The rites of dedication were performed on December 8, 1875 by Archbishop John J. Williams, Boston's first archbishop.
A note worthy detail is the cathedral’s organ. It is a Hook and Hastings pipe organ built in 1875, the largest organ manufactured by that company.
On October 1, 1979, Pope John Paul II visited the Cathedral.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 9:16 AM