Sunday, November 30, 2008
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Diocese of Portland (Maine)
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, which is presently enrolled in the National Register of Historic Places is perhaps the finest example of the 19th Century renowned ecclesiastical architect Patrick C. Keelery work. The structure is built in the neo- Gothic style typical of Keelerly, and can fit 900 persons.
Construction of the cathedral began in 1866, but on July 4th of the same year with the cathedral almost totally complete a fire broke out and destroyed the whole of the structure. Building resumed at once and on September 8th 1869 the cathedral was dedicated.
The Cathedral has three steeples, the highest of which soars 204' high, the tallest structure in Portland, overlooking Portland Harbor and Casco Bay to the east and the New Hampshire mountains to the west.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 5:58 PM
Diocese of Fall River Mass.
The Cathedral of the Diocese of Fall River Massachusetts is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary patroness of the Diocese of Fall River.
The Cathedral was built originally as a parish church and consecrated in 1901, after the creation of the diocese of Fall River in 1904, it was selected from to be the Cathedral church.
The Cathedral was last renovated in the late '70 to bring it into conformity with the prevailing liturgical-architectural theories of the times.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 11:33 AM
Diocese of Burlington Vermont.
Founded in 1850 as the first French-Canadian national parish in New England, the parish church of St. Joseph was rededicated on Easter Sunday, April 10, 1887, and it has been renovated three times: in 1920; 1968 and 2001 In October 1999, it was elevated to the rank of a co-cathedral.
The Co-Cathedral is an exemplary example of French-Canadian baroque, and it is arguably the most beautiful Catholic church in the whole of the Diocese of Burlington.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 11:04 AM
Diocese of Burlington Vermont.
The Diocese of Burlington Vermont is one of only three American dioceses that make use of a co-cathedral. The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, together with St. Joseph’s Cathedral are the seat of the bishops of Vermont.
After a devastating fire in 1972 destroyed the original historic cathedral and Rectory in downtown Burlington, the diocese of Burlington chose to construct a new, modern cathedral on the same site to serve Vermont’s Roman Catholic population. After reviewing a number of proposals for the design of the new cathedral, the diocese selected the team of New York architect Edward Larrabee Barnes and Vermont landscape architect Dan Kiley.
The Cathedral was Completed in 1977.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 10:39 AM
Archdiocese of Boston.
The Cathedral of the Holy Cross, located in Boston’s South End, was designed by Patrick Keely; an American nineteenth century ecclesiastical architect. Built in the Gothic Revival style it is constructed of Pudding stone, with gray limestone trim, it is the largest church in New England.
In 1860, Bishop Fitzpatrick recognizing that the Catholic population in Boston had outgrown the “old Cathedral” that had once stood on Franklin Street initiated plans for the construction of the present cathedral; unfortunately the Civil War interrupted these plans and work on the new cathedral did not resume until after the war. Ground was broken for the new cathedral on April 29, 1866. The rites of dedication were performed on December 8, 1875 by Archbishop John J. Williams, Boston's first archbishop.
A note worthy detail is the cathedral’s organ. It is a Hook and Hastings pipe organ built in 1875, the largest organ manufactured by that company.
On October 1, 1979, Pope John Paul II visited the Cathedral.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 9:16 AM
Diocese of Bridgeport Con.
St. Augustine Cathedral in Bridgeport, Connecticut was built in 1869, though it is not the largest church in the diocese it was nevertheless chosen to be the seat of the bishops of Bridgeport in 1953 upon the split of the new diocese from the Archdiocese of Hartford.
It went through a major renovation in 2003 and its capacity was expanded to 750 people.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 7:16 AM
Diocese of Norwich Conn.
Located in the heart of the little New England town of Norwich Connecticut, with its imposing stone façade of the Cathedral of St. Patrick has been a prominent fixture of Norwich since 1879 when it was built by the James Murphy of Providence R.I., as a parish church. Upon the creation of the diocese of Norwich in 1953 the then first bishop the diocese chose St. Patrick’s for his cathedral because of its beauty and centrality of location.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 6:19 AM
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Diocese of Providence R.I.
The first structure on the site of the present cathedral was a small church, built to provide a place of worship to the then limited number of Catholics in Rhode Island. This structure was dedicated as the Church of SS. Peter and Paul on November 4, 1838.
In 1844, the Diocese of Hartford was created. The new diocese included the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island and also, Cape Cod. Bishop Tyler, the first bishop of Hartford, decided to make the city of Providence, which was central in the diocese, his city of residence. Upon arrival in Providence, he chose the Church of SS Peter and Paul as his Cathedral. Land was purchase and the little church enlarged and consecrated as a Cathedral in 1847.
Bishop Tyler died in 1849 and was buried in the crypt of the Cathedral.
In 1858 Right Rev. Francis Patrick McFarland was consecrated the third bishop of Hartford. As his predecessors before him, Bishop McFarland continued to live in providence.
In 1872, the Diocese of Providence was created and the Bishop of Hartford moved to Hartford.
The old Cathedral, only forty years old was in a state of bad repair, and plans for the construction of a new cathedral were undertaken.
On Thanksgiving Day of 1878 the cornerstone of the present (new) Cathedral was laid in its place. The Cathedral itself was not consecrated until Sunday, June 30, 1889.
In 1968, in anticipation of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the diocese, a massive renovation program was begun. This renovation was designed to refurbish the Cathedral in line with the supposed liturgical reforms of the second Vatican Council. The renovation process took more then three years to complete.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 5:26 AM
Saturday, November 15, 2008
Archdiocese of Hartford (CT)
*July 17, 1872
Purchase of the old Morgan estate on Farmington Avenue for $75,000 by Bishop Patrick F. McFarland.
*Nov. 27, 1873
Dedication of the chapel of the Sisters of Mercy by Bishop McFarland; chapel was to serve as the pro-Cathedral until the Cathedral would be built.
*Aug. 30, 1876
Breaking of ground for the construction of the Cathedral by Bishop Thomas Galberry, O.S.A.
*Sep. 13, 1876
First stone laid by Bishop Galberry.
*Feb. 10, 1878
Basement of the Cathedral dedicated and opened for worship by Bishop Galberry.
*May 8, 1892
Dedication and consecration of the Cathedral by Bishop Lawrence S. McMahon,
The architect was Patrick C. Keely of New York.
*Dec. 31, 1956
Fire of undetermined origin destroyed the Cathedral, leaving nothing to be salvaged according to experts.
*Sep. 8, 1958
Groundbreaking for the new Cathedral by Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien.
*May 15, 1962
Consecration of the completed Cathedral of St. Joseph by Auxiliary Bishop Hackett.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 5:25 AM
Friday, November 14, 2008
Diocese of Buffalo.
The cathedral of the Diocese of Buffalo New York was consecrated in 1855. Pope Pius IX recommended to bishop Timon that the cathedral be named in honor of St. Joseph, a statue of the patron graces the entrance to the Cathedral today and has 1862. The cathedral itself was consecrated in 1863.
In 1912, a new church at the corner of Delaware Ave. and Utica was planned for designation as the cathedral for the diocese by Bishop Charles, E. Colton. Plagued by serious flaws in design and construction, the “New Cathedral” was finally abandoned in 1977, at which time St. Joseph's Cathedral regained its status as the bishop's church
Posted by Scranton Priest at 9:47 PM
Diocese of Syracuse.
In 1904, “Old” St. Mary’s, the oldest church in the diocese of Syracuse, and originally constructed in 1874 by Lawrence J. O’Connor, was selected to replace St. John’s as the Cathedral of the diocese.
The Cathedral is built in the Neo-Gothic style prevalent in the late 19th century and boasts a magnificent Tiffany window in the back wall of the sanctuary, above the High Altar.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 9:31 PM
Monday, November 10, 2008
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Diocese of Rockville Center.
The present site of the Cathedral of Saint Agnes was once occupied by an earlier marble church structure consecrated in 1904, by 1933 the parish church of Saint Agnes proved too small for the growing Catholic population of Rockville Center. The old marble church gave way to a new structure constructed in the Norman Gothic style by the renowned architect Gustave E. Steinbeck.
In 1935 Archbishop Thomas E. Molloy, the Bishop of Brooklyn consecrated the new structure. In 1957 Pope Pius XII split the diocese of Brooklyn and created the new diocese of Rockville Center, with Saint Agnes as the new cathedral.
In 1982 the Cathedral underwent extensive changes to its interior bringing it into conformity with what some at the time understood the conciliar changes demanded. It’s elegant and noted neo-medieval style gave way to more modern fashion.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 7:20 PM
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Diocese of Ogdensburg
The Cathedral of St. Mary began its existence in 1832 as a small wooden mission chapel built by Fr. James Salmon, first resident pastor of St. Lawrence County.
In 1852 the cornerstone of the new St. Mary’s Church, which in time became the first cathedral, was blessed by Fr. James Mackey.
On February 25, 1872 the diocese of Ogdensburg was created and bishop Wadhams was appointed its first bishop. The new bishop chose St. Mary’s as his Cathedral. The Cathedral was added to in different stages and on September 8th 1898, the Cathedral was consecrated solemnly by the Apostolic delegate to the United States.
On the night of November 25, 1947 fire destroyed the Cathedral and immediately rebuilding efforts were begun. On 20th May 1950 the cornerstone of the new cathedral was blessed and laid in its place. On October 22 1952 Cardinal Spellman consecrated the new structure.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 8:34 PM
Diocese of Albany
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is located on Madison Avenue hill overlooking the Hudson River.
Completed in 1852 it was consecrated by the Most Reverend John Hughes, Archbishop of New York.
The spires of the cathedral were built approximately twenty-five years apart. The northern spire was completed in 1862. The Cathedral’s southern spire on the other hand was constructed in 1888.
The Cathedral’s bells were blessed by Bishop McCloskey on November 16, 1862. They were placed in the north tower and rang for the first time on the eve of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, December 8, 1862. The bells were cast in West Troy (Watervliet), New York in the legendary Meneely Bell Foundry.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 8:29 AM
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Diocese of Brooklyn.
The first St. James (parish) church—the present structure was completed in 1902—was built on the same location that the basilica cathedral occupies today. At its opening it held the distinction of being the only Catholic church in all of Long Island, today it is the third oldest Catholic church in New York City. The church was formally dedicated on August of 1823.
In 1853, the Diocese of Brooklyn was carved out from the Archdiocese of New York, and Bishop John Loughlin was appointed by the Holy See as its first bishop. The new bishop selected St. James to be his pro-cathedral with the expectation that a new, more suitable cathedral would be built. The hoped for new cathedral was never erected, and the pro-cathedral became the permanent seat of the Bishops of Brooklyn.
On May 6, 1982, during the 160th anniversary year of its founding, the Cathedral of Saint James was designating a minor basilica by Pope John Paul II.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 10:15 PM
Monday, November 3, 2008
Archdiocese of New York
Designed by the celebrated 19th century architect James Renwick, Jr., in the Neo-Gothic style, the Cathedral of St. Patrick on 5th avenue in Manhattan stands as the singular most recognized monument to the memory of New York’s first Archbishop, John Joseph Hughes. Work on the cathedral was started in 1858, and the cathedral was not consecrated until May of 1879.
In 1901 construction of the Lady Chapel was begun. Cardinal Spellman renovated the sanctuary of the cathedral replacing the high altar with a new high altar and bronze baldachino. St. Patrick’s Cathedral has the distinction of having been visited by three popes; Paul VI, John Paul II and Benedict XVI. In addition Eugenio Cardinal Pacelli (later to become Pope Pius XII) visited the cathedral as Secretary of State for Pope Pius XI.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 5:26 PM
Archdiocese of Baltimore
The Co-Cathedral of Mary Our Queen was consecrated by Bishop Jerome Sebastian on October 13, 1959. The construction of the Co-Cathedral was largely financed by funds donated by Mr. Thomas O’Neill of Baltimore, in whose honor the chapel of St. Thomas More was constructed. The architectural style of the sandstone and brick structure, located at the northern end of the city, near St. Mary’s Seminary and Loyola University is late art deco. The Co-Cathedral has the distinction of having been visited by Pope John Paul II, a plaque located at the entrance to the chapel of the Blessed Sacrament commemorates the Holy Father’s visit.
Posted by Scranton Priest at 4:58 PM